Friday, January 17, 2020

Ageless


It seemed strangely appropriate that my reason for planning on missing a Thursday evening out on two wheels was my intention to see a lecture at the library on “successful aging,” when, after all, my main strategy for not going gentle into that good night for the last decade or so has been to head out bike-riding and beer-drinking and dope-smoking at the same appointed hour.

The speaker, neuroscientist Daniel Levitin, earned his Captain Obvious stripes with the central claim that the key to brain health in one’s later years is to stay active and engaged; “Don’t retire!” was his concluding point.

Duh.

In any case—and consequently—imagine my delight when, on my route home from the event, I spied a small collection of bicycles, (including a brightly-colored carbon-fiber French model whose appearance always warms my heart), outside my favorite local watering hole.  Here, right before me, was the unexpected opportunity to enjoy at least a little time actively engaging in the very same (now scientifically-validated) means of successful aging I have relied upon all these many years.

Solely in the cause of neurological well-being, mind you, did I stop in, to be rewarded with a small, but welcoming group of familiar brain health nuts, who eventually joined me for a quick jaunt up and down to the lake where further synaptic activity was stimulated.  And, as additional proof of the salubrious effects of such activity, I managed to lose a beloved Jannd reflective ankle strap en route*, a clear demonstration of how the healthy mind plays tricks on us if given half a chance.

“Sharp as a tack” is the phrase often applied to an old person who still has their wits about them; I’m not sure I aspire to all that.  I’d settle for being no duller than, let’s say, a butter knife.  That way, I can still do an adequate job of spreading joy, just like successful aging on Thursday nights has consistently done.
___________________________________________

*Found!  By retracing the day after, mind blown.

No comments:

Post a Comment