Thursday, February 20, 2014

Up

How do beliefs and outcomes work together?  Ever notice the way anticipation plays with what ends up?

I don’t know how not to be committed to the idea that this is the best of all possible worlds, though I couldn’t possibly believe that, could I?

Yet, there you are with waffle irons perfectly matched to people’s attitudes in times when not enough is too much rather than the converse.

Here’s some of what I think I know: the rain never came but often seemed possible, yet becalmed.

So many new folks: at least three.

And, I still think, might have happened: a tailwind in both directions.

Could this be the Ninth Annual Waffle Ride?  What else have you done for so long?

I kept being unsurprised by people’s ages: we’ve done this since childhood.  And some, like Derrick, for several of them.

No one climbed the rafters, but there were enough attention spans to make possible two separate theaters, both of which complemented another.

A warming fire was constructed vertically and many, if not most, had an opportunity to enjoy.

When you stepped out from under the shelter and its soothing fog of waffle vapor,  there was Orion’s Belt: you’d be happy with a single star, but there they are, all three of them, dotting the heavens.

The possible and actual are in continual dialogue.  There’s what you think it’s going to be and what it is, which is determined, in part, by what you think it’s going to be.

And then, it’s something different than either of those, but no less expected or unexpected.

Ground-level fireworks in the tunnel made for especially voracious vocalizations on the way out there; heading west was all about drinking it in; I let the corridor sing me.

Although among the last to leave our home away from home across the water, I’ll bet I was among the first to sleep; my more than sufficient capacity for fun, more than fulfilled.

1 comment:

  1. Its finally gone mainstream..
    http://m.yelp.com/biz/waffle-ride-seattle
    Yippy!

    ReplyDelete